Maxedia Version 4.x Software
 Newbie programming...
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sasja

7 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  14:35:48  Show Profile
Hi all,

trying to work out the Maxedia Pro for my next tour, starting in late august. I hope you can help me in kickstarting an old LD with simple Maxedia understanding...

What I want to do, in some way or another is;

1) Camera in - via the CVBS in - maybe another one via Firewire (stagecam)
2) Mac with videos in (on stage - also starting the backing track) via a capture card DVI/VGA..
3) DMX in - to blend in other things and to fade between camera/video and Maxedia effects.

What I`ve done previosly (with ArKaos) is to assign different layers to different faders - is this possible with Maxedia? I`m trying to figure this out but it seems like I have to put everything into cues? Mind you, I`m only testing the Base configuration...

Alright, this for starters..

Thanks

Sasja

Controller Support 2

1783 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  18:08:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sasja

Hi all,

trying to work out the Maxedia Pro for my next tour, starting in late august. I hope you can help me in kickstarting an old LD with simple Maxedia understanding...

What I want to do, in some way or another is;

1) Camera in - via the CVBS in - maybe another one via Firewire (stagecam)
2) Mac with videos in (on stage - also starting the backing track) via a capture card DVI/VGA..
3) DMX in - to blend in other things and to fade between camera/video and Maxedia effects.

What I`ve done previosly (with ArKaos) is to assign different layers to different faders - is this possible with Maxedia? I`m trying to figure this out but it seems like I have to put everything into cues? Mind you, I`m only testing the Base configuration...

Alright, this for starters..

Thanks

Sasja

1. Yes that is possible if the firewire adapter does not require custom drivers
2. Do you mean the MAC takes the Maxedia as an input?
3. ...

Keep in mind that Maxedia does not work on a DMX Layer concept. Instead write all your desired cues and make two cues with the camera inputs.
You can blend between any two cues (which can contain up to 19 layers each) via DMX and use blends and wipes to replicate a normal video switcher. It is very easy to control and program and you should be up and running with some basic cues in no time.

Use the Maxedia Basic DMX fixture in extended mode which will use about 28 channels.

Also try to use a Maxedia V4 server as it's video playback system is significantly improved.
Go to Top of Page

sasja

7 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  19:16:07  Show Profile

[/quote]

1. Yes that is possible if the firewire adapter does not require custom drivers
This works like a charm..

2. Do you mean the MAC takes the Maxedia as an input?
Oh, nope..just the input videos via the Macbook Pro. The Keyboardplayer starts the backingtrack and all the videos are linked to the backingtrack to get the lip/textsync right. I`ll probably buy the dvi/vga card for this - otherwise I`ll go with component..
There will probably be some difference in video/sound here so I`ll have to sync this to the backingtrack after I have some clue on what the video delay will be.
3. ...

Keep in mind that Maxedia does not work on a DMX Layer concept. Instead write all your desired cues and make two cues with the camera inputs.
You can blend between any two cues (which can contain up to 19 layers each) via DMX and use blends and wipes to replicate a normal video switcher. It is very easy to control and program and you should be up and running with some basic cues in no time.

Ah,...that`s what I`m figuring out now..
But, if I use cue 1 - and put layer 1 into this (eg. cam1)
then, if I use cue 2 - and put layer 1 into this as well
won`t there be a conflict??

Use the Maxedia Basic DMX fixture in extended mode which will use about 28 channels.

Also try to use a Maxedia V4 server as it's video playback system is significantly improved.

Thanks a lot
Sasja

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

troyfuji

54 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  17:06:12  Show Profile
there will not be a conflict. unlike other layer based servers maxedia can go from one cue to another with differnt content on the same layer. you could go from one cue with all 19 layers used to amother cue with all 19 layers. have fun!
Go to Top of Page

sasja

7 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  19:26:52  Show Profile
Thanks,

After today I`ve got one more question over the same issue really.
What I`m trying to do (still) is to fade between inputs;
1) camera in via firewire,
2) video playback from another Macbook via s-video in,
3) Maxedia effects.
I`ve put cue 1 (camera 1), cue 2 (video playback) and cue 3 (Maxedia effect);
this blend just fine - however, what I want to do is;
put transistion on one fader (with manual crossfade) and the crossfade between the cues so that I can manually put 3 cues into the same picture on the screen...I only get this to work between two cues ..My first guess is that I`m only crossfading between A and B on the Maxedia, and thereby only two cues?

Well, if anyone has a suggestion I`ll be more than happy to here it.

reagards,
Go to Top of Page

sasja

7 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  19:59:26  Show Profile
Thanks, like you were saying, it is pretty easy making cues etc...

However, I keep struggeling with the 2 cues "limit". I`m not very experienced in mediaservers but working with layers has the advantage of putting 5 layers on 5 faders and manually control all. Of course I see advantages in the increadible speed of the Maxedia but I`m still trying to put my head into the "cue thinking" aspect.

Tomorrow is yet another mindspinning Maxedia day...

all the best
Sasja
Go to Top of Page

Controller Support 2

1783 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  21:50:23  Show Profile
quote:

Thanks, like you were saying, it is pretty easy making cues etc...

However, I keep struggeling with the 2 cues "limit". I`m not very experienced in mediaservers but working with layers has the advantage of putting 5 layers on 5 faders and manually control all. Of course I see advantages in the increadible speed of the Maxedia but I`m still trying to put my head into the "cue thinking" aspect.

Tomorrow is yet another mindspinning Maxedia day...

all the best
Sasja

Patch 1 to 4 toplayers for your cameras. You can then make level faders to add or remove those as needed.
Toplayers act very similar to how you are used to working from other servers and they are not affected by the cue system.
Hopefully this gives the best of both concepts.

Go to Top of Page

sasja

7 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  19:18:29  Show Profile
Hi again, just recieved my new DVI Dual Card. It does work alright but quite strange if you ask me. When I install it, the card seems to overrun the other options. I used to have cameras running from composite and firewire but after activating the dual card all there is to select between is the two DVI inputs that has just been installed via the new card. This must surely be an error of some kind I just have to figure out if the error is at my end of the table or if it`s a software issue that is being fixed. When talking to Martin people here in Scandinavia they seem to be as much surprised as me over this feature (or lack of it). In order to get camera and video playback from the Macbook I now have to disable the card. Are there anyone else experiencing this or there might be someone at Martin that can explain what I`m doing wrong.

Sasja
Go to Top of Page

Controller Support 2

1783 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  08:17:42  Show Profile
quote:

Hi again, just recieved my new DVI Dual Card. It does work alright but quite strange if you ask me. When I install it, the card seems to overrun the other options. I used to have cameras running from composite and firewire but after activating the dual card all there is to select between is the two DVI inputs that has just been installed via the new card. This must surely be an error of some kind I just have to figure out if the error is at my end of the table or if it`s a software issue that is being fixed. When talking to Martin people here in Scandinavia they seem to be as much surprised as me over this feature (or lack of it). In order to get camera and video playback from the Macbook I now have to disable the card. Are there anyone else experiencing this or there might be someone at Martin that can explain what I`m doing wrong.

Sasja

Maxedia Version 4.2 only supports two video inputs. Once you mounted the DVI card it occupied both slots so no other inputs will work.

We have extended this to support up to 8 video inputs for the next release. Send me an email and I will sent you a link to download a version to try this out already.

We will likely post a beta software 119 by Wednesday.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Martin User Forum (closed) © 2017 Martin Professional Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000