M1 and M6 Hardware
 M1 or Maxxyz Compact?
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  09:04:59  Show Profile
Hi guys,

Apologies that I couldn't really find an impartial forum to post this in - it was either the M1 or Maxxyz forum. I'm looking to get a new console mainly for my own use, I'm a freelance lighting designer mainly working on community and amateur musical theatre productions. Previously I've mostly used competitors' desks, but never owned my own, and I've started playing around with the M-PC software and decided it seemed like a good way to go.

As it stands, I have the option to purchase either a used M1 or Maxxyz Compact for around the same price - the M1 is newer and possibly in slightly better condition, but it looks like the Maxxyz Compact is a higher-end console so thought I should consider it as well. I'd be very interested to hear people's recommendations between the two consoles - I'll mostly be using them in a theatre setting with a single main cuelist, controlling a few dozen LED lights and moving lights, and up to 120 dimmer channels.

Thanks - any help would be greatly appreciated!
Giancarlo

mzagarn

810 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  09:55:08  Show Profile
We have both in hire. I like the compact and think it is a great console. it is just big and heavy in theater shows i use this. In rock busking shows i use the m1. Might also be worth looking at the m2go.
Go to Top of Page

Jirwind

278 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:55:16  Show Profile
M6 :D....

M1, do not think
Go to Top of Page

Joe Bleasdale

274 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  23:00:51  Show Profile
M1 and M6 should be your two serious contenders.

Maxxyz Compact is old hardware and the new software is more suited to the new hardware of M1 and M6.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  01:24:39  Show Profile
Thanks for the input, guys! Probably not the answer I was expecting, so I'm glad I checked. Unfortunately the M6 is well outside of my price range at this stage, I don't know of anywhere that has it in hire yet locally either! I think I'll be chasing down that M1, looking forward to getting it to work on my first show with it in a couple of months!
Go to Top of Page

Jirwind

278 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  17:57:11  Show Profile
salamagd

Where Are you From?
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  01:28:06  Show Profile
Jirwind - I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator

3932 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  01:48:56  Show Profile
Go meet up with Mike at Clear Systems, he knows the desks upside down and then some :-)
Go to Top of Page

Big_Daws

290 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  03:02:21  Show Profile
i would agree with that matthias 10 times over. i have chatted with mike when i was in Australia (Canada now). he was great to talk to!
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  03:15:18  Show Profile
Thanks guys! I have been in touch with the guys from Clear and I might end up hiring one of the desks from them for a while to test it out on a show before I buy. Excited about making the move over to the M1! What are people's opinions on the encoder wheels on the M1 vs the belts on the M6 / MC?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator

3932 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  05:09:16  Show Profile
I am a belt person :-)
Go to Top of Page

Big_Daws

290 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  05:14:44  Show Profile
havent had my hands on an m6 yet...but have had issues with the encoder wheels on my m1 though...even with the replaced wheels...not sure why though...working through it though. that aside, i love the M1 lots!!!
Go to Top of Page

mzagarn

810 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  12:22:09  Show Profile
well it would ve well worth trying both options. I like the tracks but like additional faders and buttons on the m1. got a show on this week but back in the office next week. depending on budget you might evan be looking at m2go. It is smaller and its small lcd screen for parameters makes it super fast. mike clearsystems.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Bleasdale

274 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  15:24:09  Show Profile
I have to admit, I was weary of the belts at first. But after doing some programming, I love them!

I set up the M6 so that most of the slotted parameters like gobo, shutter etc appear on the Fast Dial encoders. I put fanning on the 4 encoders above the T Bar which makes for SUPER FAST fanning! Then most other parameters are linear, which are great on the belts.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  07:35:12  Show Profile
Just thought I'd chime back in here with an update... received my M1 and loving it so far! Just got to upgrade to the latest v3 software (it's still running 2.80) and replace the fans with some quieter ones as recommended by Paul Pelletier. Can't wait to put it through its paces on my next show!

Go to Top of Page

Jirwind

278 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  21:08:09  Show Profile
Good luck :)
Go to Top of Page

Paul Pelletier

10024 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  08:51:50  Show Profile
Nice working area!
Go to Top of Page

mzagarn

810 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  13:12:46  Show Profile
looks good should be a lot of fun. Where did you end up buying it from?
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  01:34:04  Show Profile
Cheers! Gotta get it set up with MSD as well, hoping to do that this weekend. I got it second hand from a lighting designer in New Zealand, was very happy with its condition though.
Go to Top of Page

mzagarn

810 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  01:55:52  Show Profile
Just make sure that it has the ssd upgrade in it.
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  02:07:28  Show Profile
It's currently just got a standard 250GB HDD - worth swapping out for an SSD? Is it easy enough to get to? Any recommended brand/type of SSD?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator

3932 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  16:57:30  Show Profile
Yes please replace the drive for an SSD. Use a Crucial M4 64GB. It makes a huge difference.
Go to Top of Page

salamagd

8 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  00:50:15  Show Profile
Cheers Matthias! I'll do that when I replace the fans :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Martin User Forum (closed) © 2017 Martin Professional Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000