Non-Controller related topics
 Moving mirror / Bypass 'safety clutch' on MAC 250
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

halleluhja

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  23:15:25  Show Profile
Hello there,

I'm trying to abuse an old and partly defective MAC 250 moving head as a dmx controlled pan- and tilt-motor, holding a ~ 1.5 x 1.5 meters sized and ~ 4.5 kilos heavy reflective surface. However, I noticed that it seems to have kind of a 'safety clutch' or torque limiter feature in order to not hurt people who like to reach for the moving head while it is moving around. As I would need the pan and tilt stepper motors to be more powerful than they are due to the restriction of the 'safety clutch' in case there actually is such a thing within the MAC 250's at all I would love to know if it is possible to somehow bypass or remove this clutch while keeping the rest of the functionality. As I have basically no idea about how the mechanical side of the moving head is designed, I wanted to at least give it a try and ask about that before it is being taken apart and cannibalized. In that same sense: Any suggestions on how to keep the pan and tilt movement from doing its 'safety clutch' thing as soon as you hold down the yoke with a fingertip?

That would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
H

jcolafrancesco

56 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  03:48:18  Show Profile
I don't think it's a safety clutch. The motor simply doesn't have enough force to push your hand out of the way. You would probably need different motors for this purpose. Stepper motors aren't really built for torque in my experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Martin User Forum (closed) © 2017 Martin Professional Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000